Recent Quick Pictures

Monday, May 3, 2010

Bottles and Sippy Cups


So with Emilee's surgery approaching (one month from today) I'm going to start trying to get her off of her bottle and drinking out of sippy cups and big girl cups (open face). Once she has her surgery she will not be able to use a bottle or sippy cup for at least one week. We will have to feed her with a syringe or she can drink from an open face cup. So this morning was my first attempt. Before I bring her downstairs, I usually make her bottle so that it's ready for her and put it on the table beside the chair where we usually sit and then I go and get her out of her crib. The first thing that she looks for each morning is her bottle to be sure that it's sitting there. (I watch her face just to see if she does it every morning... she does) So this morning I watched her face and of course she looks towards the table to see her sippy cup setting there. So we sit down like always and I give her the sippy cup. She looks at me like I'm crazy, but begins to drink it. I was so excited that she didn't fuss at all. She would drink and then watch TV and then drink some more and then chew on it and let it run out of the side of her mouth and then drink some more. It went a lot smoother than I thought. We'll have to see how it goes tomorrow. I figure that she has four weeks left until her surgery... so I'll trade a sippy cup for a bottle each week since she currently gets four bottles. Hopefully it'll go well. It's not going to help her as far as post op goes, but it will once that first post op week is over.

Here she is from this morning. I know... the sippy cup is orange but it's the only one that I can find with the nipple that she can use without having a 'free flowing, no valve' mess.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Is that a Nuby? We couldn't use a Nuby because they said she may try to create suction off of it after surgery. We had to use the free flowing mess cups which didn't work to well. NIGHTMARE!! I can't beleive her surgery is a month away!!